Dinner Tonight: Tortilla and Black Bean Pie
This may not be the fanciest dish, nor is it very difficult (actually, it’s quite simple), but damn is it delicious! However, I reckon it’s probably not super good for you either (not the way I smothered it with sour cream). Mind you, the black beans definitely add some nutrients and fibre.
This particular recipe comes from a book I recently borrowed from my mom titled Great Food Fast. It’s put out by Martha Stewart Living–so it’s gotta be good, right?
Anyway, being vegetarian, it’s hard to find good vegetarian recipes in non-vegetarian cookbooks and magazines. I find that they’re always a variation of the same ingredients, and it makes me sad because you can really eat sooo much without eating meat. While this book does tend to focus on main dishes featuring meat and fish most often, it also contains some very delightful-looking vegetarian dishes–one of which I tried out tonight.
Enter the Tortilla and Black Bean Pie. So easy, yet so delicious .. Mmmmm.
Tortilla and Black Bean Pie
from Martha Stewart’s Good Food Fast
4 flour tortillas (I chose a whole wheat and flax variety)
1 tbsp oil (I used extra-virgin olive oil, because I always do)
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno chili, seeds removed and minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
2 – 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
250 g frozen (or fresh, if available) corn
4 green onions, chopped, plus more for garnish
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat oil in a fry pan on medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion softens.
- Add to pan beans and water. Turn up to high and bring to boil, then turn down to medium and let simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated (about 12 minutes).
- Stir corn and green onions into mixture. Remove from heat.
- Put a tortilla at the bottom of a cast iron skillet; trim edges if too big. Spoon 1/4 of bean mixture onto tortilla and spread evenly. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat 3 times.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Cut into 6 pieces. Garnish with chopped green onion and sour cream (optional).
Eat flexy, feel sexy!